Monday, February 25, 2013

Better Art Through Chemistry



 I found this blue while cruising through the Blick catalog. It is a fairly close match to Indanthrene blue which I like for getting deep rich colors. I need a really full ranged blue for mixing colors. And I think that this will be it.

Doing a little research to see if my assumption that it is related to the quinacridones that I love, I found some interesting facts about this quirky little blue.

For one thing, the science behind all the chemistry that makes these colors is complicated! And a bit frustrating. There is a lot of information to wade through that is so far over my head that now I have a head ache. But the trivial stuff is kinda interesting
  • this pigment is oxidized anthracene
  • it is a building block of Alizarin Crimson
  • this blue chemical is the agent used to BLEACH paper
  • naturally occurring in aloe and rhubarb, some fungi and lichens as well as some insects
  • used to make hydrogen peroxide
Who knew!
 
 
As with all new pigments added to your personal palette, it's always best to make swatch pages so that you can see how your new color reacts with the colors that you are already familiar with. You will quickly discover which combinations make mud and which ones make a vibrant new shade. With your own custom color swatch book you have a true to you resource. Your own light, your own hand gives you a much truer idea of how your project will come out than relying in an online resource which is subject to the quirks of the computer screen of the originating computer and yours own screen.
 
This is a sample of Anthraquinone Blue mixed with the first of many new colors for me
 


No comments:

Visitors Count