Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Illustrated Sayings

It seems that art and life can not be easily disentangled. Nor does it seem that life allows art to be made without there being some amount of sorrow or pain associated with the creation. 2015 has begun with a series of personal tragedies following a rather large dry spell in the art department throughout the later half of 2014. And from this perspective it seems that art is going to have to wait for a while longer before it can take center stage in life again.

As has been the case in this past year, digital art production is a quick hit for getting the creativity going. And I am still working on my photographic skills, honing the set up and snap shot process of capturing the essence of food before it gets lost to the ravages of too much counter time. So it isn't like ABSOLUTELY nothing is getting accomplished. I do have to remember that and not get down on myself for being unproductive. It's just that the kind of art I am doing is a bit of a departure from the art that I am used to presenting here.


Take, for instance, this set of images I made for my facebook page. It uses 4 layers of textures, the first of which is my own painting of the sacral chakra which was heavily manipulated. Then a series of overlays from my own files that were culled from graphicstock and voila!


One of the things that I hate about the internet is how fast snark and sarcasm spread. It isn't just snark and sarcasm though. It is the way that trite one-liners and pseudo-proverbs that are woefully one dimensional spread. One of them that got me riled was the saying that Actions Speak Louder Than Words.

When a promise is made and broken that says something about the person who made the promise. When a secret is shared and then blabbed about town that says a lot about the person who broke confidence. It says you don't care. It says you lie. Two times the saying is true. The problem with this saying is that in other situations, you have to be able to interpret actions objectively.

I do not know too many people who are objective enough to be reliable interpreters. One has to be able to understand human psychology and behavior and disciplined enough not to run another's actions through the filter of your own pain. Even with my considerable skills as an empath, I don't get it right all the time. Few people get it right at all.

This is the placard that I created in response to the haphazard application of the pseudo-proverb Actions Speak Louder Than Words.

No comments:

Visitors Count