Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Being Yourself

I admire a lot of art out there. Some of the sketches I've seen the last few days have awed me. Many of the entries for ARTPrize in Grand Rapids set me back on my heels. Moleskine is running a sketchbook series that I find absolutely astounding. I guess I can not get passed a notebook for writing because I have a hard time thinking of anything worth drawing in them... I save it for the sketch books.

And sometimes I am overwhelmed with the "I Wish I Could_______ Like______ Does." Perhaps that is not a good thought to have. I start doubting the awesomeness of my own stuff. If you are going to sell it you have to think it is awesome. If you don't no one else will. Really though.... I do a very decent job. And there are a lot of things that I like about my own stuff. So I shouldn't let the fact that I love other things diminish what I do. Comparison is not always helpful. Now if you evaluate yourself to see how you are doing day to day or with projects of a similar nature than you are doing something healthy.

Today's digital art is a Birthday Greeting that I can pop across time and space with email. Yes, it is the same style as yesterday. It is also in a color scheme that I am not always comfortable with. And let's face it. It's been 4 years since I have rightly had my hands on my physical art supplies. So I do need to get some of my principles down and remember those art rules that used to come so naturally to me.


This is my style. It is a fact of my life. I could want to be a hundred other artists but I am me. The choices I made with my art lead me to this place. And so it stands to reason that this is who I am as an artist. I am much softer and romantic in art than in life. Which is good because there needs to be a softness to me. I can not be all horns and thorns all the time. I like visual texture and elegance and have very little of it in my daily life. Again... this is me and I need to be me somewhere. It may only be at the easel (physical or digital) but at least I am getting back to being me.

And my art is reflecting me more now than it has in recent years.

No comments:

Visitors Count